part 1 | part 2 | part 3 | part 4 | part 5 | part 6 | listen
Thing is, what makes a picture a portrait is that it is a portrait of somebody. But whom?
With A Whale's Lantern being a Fediverse thing, I was looking for someone who embodies the spirit of the community. Maybe a trans woman surrounded by synthesizers, plushies, old computers, and cats... but where could one find such a person?
Wendy Carlos, of course.
Wendy Carlos facts
(for people who can't be bothered to read the whole Wikipedia article)
- Her first album, Switched-On Bach, won three Grammies in 1969.
- She worked closely with Bob Moog, and was (if you will) instrumental in making Moog the premium synth brand it became.
- She recorded the soundtracks to A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Tron.
- She recorded a version of Peter and the Wolf with Weird Al Yankovic.
- She developed a set of new tuning systems, known as α, β, and γ. They are exceptional in that they discard a perfect octave in favour of other simple fractional intervals.
- She is an expert at photographing solar eclipses.
Continued in part 3
No comments yet. Be the first to react!